The reason for my irresponsible actions was a party at the office last night. It was one of the other Sharemilkers' 30th birthday, and many a bottle of Speight's was consumed.
The Speight's Logo
How I saw the Speight's Logo
I should explain about the concept of sharemilking, which is a huge part of the NZ dairy industry and is not really found in the UK.
Sharemilking is basically a set up (under contract) between the landowner and the dairy farmer where the profits from the milk cheque are divided between the two parties. There are two types of sharemilking, '50/50' and 'lower order'.
50/50 sharemilking is when a dairy farm including the milking shed, barns etc is farmed by the sharemilker with his own herd. This means that he does not need to own land to milk his own cows. The milk cheque is split 50/50, as are the costs. This is different from renting in the way that the landowner still has a major input into the farm, particularly the infrastructure.
Lower order sharemilking is different because the cows are also owned by the landowner. The sharemilker receives a lower proportion of the milk cheque, as they have less invested into the business. A typical percentage might be 22%. Other differences from 50/50 are that the sharemilker only pays variable costs such as utilities. There is a difference to managing someone else's dairy farm because the pay comes as a percentage of the milk cheque and is therefore performance related. It is also common for sharemilkers to gradually buy the herd and progress to 50/50 or eventually 'normal' dairy farming.
The farm I work on, one of three in the vicinity, is lower order. David and Jocelyn, the sharemilkers, employ Daniel and myself and milk cows owned by the landowner, Grant Ludemann, whose offices were where the party was. David and Jocelyn own machinery such as the tractor and all the bikes. They also own a few of the heifers (I think 30 odd), which they lease back to Grant, to make matters even more confusing.
Anyway the party was good fun, except the part about knowing my alarm in the morning was set for 4:10. I felt I had some use translating Daniel's Irish accent into normal English so the kiwis could understand. There was a BBQ going too, which is always good, especially when there are venison steaks on it.
In other news, I have splashed out and bought a load of gear for a spot of fly fishing. The season starts in November and I can't wait. Hopefully fresh trout for tea will become a regular occurrence. (Stuffed with spinach and mushroom, and served with fresh tomato salsa - my signature dish).
After some much needed advice from the bloke in the shop and the emptying of the wallet, I should be catching something.
I am also planning a big trip for my next three-day weekend off, to Stewart Island, an island an hours ferry ride off the South coast. The main aim is to get as far South as possible (latitude 47°), and also to spot an actual wild Kiwi. I will be sure to pack the binoculars and there should be a fair few photographs for the next blog post.
Until then, then.

Have you done any fishing yet?!
ReplyDelete