Today I set off on my lengthy journey back home. I am currently in a hostel in Christchurch having just watched the All Blacks destroy Les Blues, at a pub though, not live.
After cleaning the bungalow, I was dropped off at Oamaru to catch a bus to Christchurch. The bus company was called NakedBus. In my experience, a naked bus is what happened at uni when the womens and mens rugby teams had the same away fixture. This was different, it was full of sixteen year olds who looked like they are fans of vampires and reality television. I sat on my seat, which was narrower than me and settled into my bad mood. The driver had the heating way up at
23.5 °C, I could see it on the dashboard. I was not impressed. I got my laptop out and watched a couple of classic episodes of David Attenborough's Life of Mammals which cheered me up a bit.
Anyway I had the chance to think up the top ten things I will miss about New Zealand, here they are:
10. The TV show 'The Crowd Goes Wild!'
9. Fourteen-forty-four.
8. Milking at a rate of nearly 6 cows per minute.
7. The low population (of humans).
6. The odd road names.
5. The Lord of the Ringsy vibe about the countryside.
4. The constant obsession with the greatest ball game in the world (rugby union for those of you who don't recognise the trophy).
3. Speight's Gold Medal Ale.
2. The general appreciation and respect for farmers and farming from the public (even city folk).
1. Working with views as good as this every day.
That'll do for now, I've got a flight to catch in the morning!
Couldn't agree with you anymore! CGW - great programme. Appreciating the landscape views as the sun rises. And people who actually understand farming! Also, the frequent use of g'day friend or stranger
ReplyDelete